Stan Lee created Spiderman at the age of forty, and is still alive and successful at ninety years old.
To me, this only means that greatness has nothing to do with when you start and finish being great.
I used to think I was a good rider. I started when I was in my twenties, and within a year, I could compete in a few horse shows and earn a few ribbons. I only fell off once. I could learn quickly and I could find the right words to teach others. People came to me for horse advice, or made comments that I rode well, or suggested that I "do more" with my riding. People even paid me to condition and school their horses because they could trust that I would use good judgment, be safe, and be consistent. I had solid technique for the basics. I was riding regularly, and volunteering regularly and helping teach lessons with a non-profit organization that offers riding lessons and equine-assisted activities.
I can't tell you exactly why I stopped.
Part of it was a break-up. Part of it was finding (or trying to find) someone new. Part of it was some friends moving away, horses being sold, changing barns, and lessons coming fewer and farther between. Part of it was that I was a little intimidated by the horse I had the most freedom to ride (even though I love Thunder dearly). Part of it was how different it felt riding on my own instead of with my friends or in a lesson. To me, barns had ghosts of good times past, which made me a bit sad. So I skipped a trip to the barn one night.
After that, it was easy to skip going again, or ever. After that, it seemed like a ridiculous idea to actually go to the barn, rather than skip it. I began to worry about what people would think, say, or expect if I showed up. I didn't want to disappoint anyone or give anyone a reason to smirk at my lack of practice. I didn't want to reveal that I hadn't been riding secretly somewhere else.
These things are of course ridiculous reasons to not do something, but they were what worked for a number of years. It took a lot of time, thinking, reasoning with myself, and false-starting myself towards going back to riding before I finally did it.
And now, I can't shut up about it. I took my first lesson in years two weeks ago, I had my second lesson yesterday, and I am officially hooked all over again. So get your boots on, dear readers, and get ready to come ride with me.
I used to think I was a good rider. Now, I want to become a great rider.
It's time to Get Over It.
| Peter Pan taught us that if you want to fly, you must first think happy thoughts! |
No comments:
Post a Comment