Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Good and the Bad

Yesterday was a good day: I visited Thunder and had a great ride.  I also met up with some old friends and met some new ones in the area's horse industry.  Today, not as much: the non-profit organization I work with lost a favorite mare from our therapy program.  That's not to say that the whole day was awful, but I think we all can agree that one event can turn around an entire day.  When working with horses, it seems like heartbreak or elation can happen nearly at random.

Starting with my ride on Thunder is a discussion of elation.  At the walk, Thunder kept his head focused and on the bit.  He bent in the corners and used his back evenly on the straight.  At the trot, he started off rushing through my breath and slow posting.  After working on his transitions between walk and trot for a little while, he slowed down and paid attention for the next command.  We extended the trot on the long sides and moved into a slow, seated trot on the short sides.  He listened beautifully.  When we picked up a serpentine pattern at the trot, he rushed on the straight and ducked his inside shoulder down into the turn, so I stretched the pattern out (making only three  times across instead of four or five), and even walked him through the pattern in collection once each way.  From there, he had it perfectly together.

After spending a few years not being regularly worked, Thunder has lost some of his fitness, and it really shows at the canter.  He throws his body rather than carrying it, rushing around, and he dips in the turns like a motorcycle.  It's especially pronounced on the left lead.  In order to try to get him to practice cantering while keeping himself together, we've done a lot of transition work there, too.  These transitions aren't entirely smooth, as Thunder is a clear case of "once at the canter, he wants to stay in motion," but they are becoming smoother and more collected.  I couldn't be happier with the boy.

The loss of Sweetie (the mare I told you about), on the other hand, is a discussion of heartbreak.  She was very old and arthritic, but she was certainly a "sweetie" and a barn favorite.  She will be missed by everyone who got the chance to work with her, volunteers and clients alike.  On Tuesday night I saw her as I did chores and pet her soft nose for the last time.  I'll really miss her a lot.

It's amazing how many ups and downs can come by within a week with horses, but to me, any time with horses is better than any time without.  As much as I'll miss Sweetie, there is still much work to be done towards becoming a better horsewoman for the rest of the herd on earth.  I have to keep practicing, keep thinking and focusing, and keep studying what I can to create the best equine relationships possible.


2 comments:

  1. You don't mention lungeing, I've found it really helps to get a horse balanced and comfortable especially when his canter is uncoordinated? Especially with side reins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two main reasons for not using side reins: A) I don't have any; and B) I've never used them before.

    It's not that I'm "against" using them or anything, it's simply that I believe you should know how to use equipment before you use it, and I don't know how just yet.

    As for longeing, I usually longe him if I need to take an out-of-saddle view of how he's moving as opposed to exercise. He isn't the kind of horse who needs to "blow of steam" anymore, and he's been very well trained to use his core to keep his body in frame, he's just out-of-shape at the moment. He leans in big time when moving in a circle, whip or no whip, and that's exactly what I'm trying to fix. Rather than keeping him on circle work, I'm trying to make sure he gets just as much stretch on the straight as he gets bend and flex on the turns-- really get his core involved without overdoing it.

    THANK YOU SO MUCH for participating with me-- it's really fun to have a conversation and get other people's opinions! I really like and value your ideas, and I will definitely look further into them. Please comment again whenever you like so that we can keep bouncing ideas off one another! :)

    ReplyDelete