Friday, July 5, 2013

"That was neither loose nor slinky."

I have had two "breakthrough" lessons in a row with Tubby.  This was the horse who I could barely canter more than two strides with before; whose trot I couldn't sit no matter how I tried.  I took about a month off for arthroscopic surgery on my knee, I rode Evan in a wonderful success of a First Ride Back, and then, suddenly, I could canter Tubby all around the arena. As the title of this blogpost implies, it hasn't been perfect, but the steps forward greatly outnumber the steps backward.  I'd have to say that the biggest step forward has been the progression of my thoughts while riding from things like, "Heels down, feet back, think about your position..." to such classic gems as "That was neither loose nor slinky."

To anyone else, the phrase probably doesn't make any sense at all.  But to me, it is a change from worrying about major and basic technical concepts in riding to some of the more abstract and finer concepts.  Suddenly, I don't constantly harass myself with worries about my feet because I know that they are already in a good position; I can move on.  As we all know, GOSH, it feels great to move on!!

Aside from that, I have a confession: I have the hugest horsey crush on Tubby.  God bless his cute face and his huggable body.  I love the way his ears tilt back and he comes almost to a dead stop when I make a mistake (which is Tubbyspeak for, "Seriously?  That's not what she said to do...").  I love the way he struts his stuff when he knows we just did something well.  I love the way he's a total Pocket Pony (but in a very well behaved way!) on the ground.  I think he's happy that I'm finally "getting it" with the things he's teaching me, and I couldn't be happier with how we're working together.

I feel like I've had the rides of my life lately, and I can't wait to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment