It has not been a waste of time, however, either. I've really learned a lot by watching the riders and Mr. Morris work with the horses, and of course by following closely to his commentary. I have picked up his mantra about impulsion and keeping a horse forward-thinking-- here's hoping that I remember that when I do see a horse the next time. I was delighted when a spectator asked for advice for an "older" rider making her way ("Like me!" I thought), and he answered simply, "Read." I took notes about the books and authors he mentioned.
I will say, I can see a discrepancy between where I am as a rider and some of the topics he discusses. There are a few concepts that I just haven't "made it to" yet-- such as flying lead changes and some of the trickier dressage steps. It's one thing to see someone do something and hear them tell you how to do it, but you don't really ever know until you try for yourself. Hence the frustration I mentioned. I'm not going to be able to try any of these things for myself if I have to stay safe inside all the time! The cabin fever of convalescence is killing me!
I still have some waiting to do, however: tomorrow my area is supposed to be hit by a major snow storm, and then the first part of the week is supposed to be sub-zero temperatures. To me, that is just too cold to exercise in. Tubby is body clipped and fit, but his joints get so stuff and the air will make him cough. Thunder is out-of-shape and will turn into a sweaty (and then frozen) mess if I exercise him too much. I myself can't take much cold air before I have an asthma attack, so waiting is the name of the game for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment