Thursday, March 14, 2013

Fire in Your Eyes, Kick Those Butterflies


Today's post gets its title from the lyrics of one of my favorite "putting on the game face" songs, Kool and the Gang's "Victory," which is from their album Forever from 1986.  It definitely falls under the category of "oldie but goodie."  More than that, it's a positive message to pull yourself together and give it all you've got-- which is one we all need when those jitterbugs set in.

A ton of things make me jittery-- things that happen earlier in the day, things that happen right before my ride or during my ride, and especially... those nasty moments of doubt when I think to myself, "So many of today's riders have been going at this since they were little... I didn't start until my twenties.  Who am I kidding?!  I can't make up that kind of experience!!"

In order to pull myself together (which happens hopefully before I'm in the saddle, or a bad situation just gets worse), I try to remember that I could easily have just as much experience if I keep at it longer.  I have to work harder at training my brain, training my body, and keeping the butterflies to a minimum if I want to catch up to the other riders.  I can't get lazy because I'm really counting on the competition to get lazy.

This is all said by a woman who hasn't competed in years.  This is because, most importantly, I have to beat myself in the arena.  In every arena: the show ring (someday), the schooling ring, the lesson arena, even the empty-except-for-me-and-Thunder arena.  I want to get better with every single ride.  I want to teach my brain new concepts in between rides so that I've got a fuller toolbox to work with.  I try to practice doing my best.

Here's the original official music video for "Victory" to get each of us pumped up for our next ride!


No comments:

Post a Comment