About two weeks ago, Thunder moved to a different barn where he could be more accessible to his owner. Who can blame her? She has a wonderful horse who she should get to enjoy, too! Aside from that amenity, Thunder also has a young neighbor girl who is ready to love, spoil, and care for him, and fields, pastures, and woodland trails to enjoy. The guy hit the Pony Paradise jackpot, and I'm happy for him and his owner. I'll miss him, of course, but I still get to visit.
Following Thunder's relocation, I quickly set up a lesson with Ashton so I could still ride-- and brush up on my skills. One thing I've definitely had refreshed in my memory since my lesson is that what feels one way on one horse feels completely different on another horse. They are not all the same-- and that's a wonderful thing!
In my lesson, I met a new horse friend (perfect!) named Cruiser, a four-year-old Quarter Morgan. The little tyke was so cute and sweet, but also wise beyond his years in terms of being a lesson horse. He was level-headed, dependable, predictable, and easy-going. It was love at first ride. Plus, he looks a lot like a smaller Tubby (remember him? I got to pet him while I was there, too).
Comparison:
Tubby
Ashton imparted to me a lot of wisdom not just about riding in general, but also about riding a young horse, and especially about riding Cruiser specifically. While in the saddle, I picked up on a lot of feelings that went along with what she was teaching, as well as all my reading and video-watching. It was a really good lesson!
The day after, I got to meet yet another new horse friend, Simon. Simon's owner was kind enough to respond to an advertisement I'd put on Facebook, looking for a new horse to ride. He's a nine-year-old Quarter Paint with basic training, who has been a bit of a pasture horse for the last few years. His owner loves him and rides him, but she had been looking for a person who could ride him sometimes, too, in order to give him a more consistent working regimen. It was a perfect situation.
As I learned more about Simon and his owner, I came to find out that she worked for stables that old friends of mine owned. I was delighted to learn that I'd be among friendly faces, and to get a chance to reunite with some of my old horse friends, too! When I got there, I knew four of the other horses in the stable, and I had a wonderful time telling Megan (Simon's owner) about our old adventures.
Now I've ridden Simon twice, and I've had a marvelous time "figuring him out" and helping him to relax into his work. He's been a happy, eager-to-please partner, and appreciative of the rewards that we give-and-take. It's been a wonderful opportunity, and I'm really hoping to make the most of it.




No comments:
Post a Comment