At our first meeting I turned him out into the round pen to free-longe him. I took a long look at how he moved and asked him a question or two about changing gaits and speed. He happily whizzed around and around for a few minutes, but completely blanked when I asked for a half-halt or "whoa." After a skidding stop or two, I learned how much "whoa" was too much, and he learned to pay closer attention to my voice and body language in the middle of the ring. I could see his gaits were really nice and smooth, although his trot was often overextended and too fast, and he didn't like to pick up his left lead canter if he could get away with it. He couldn't get away with it. As he began to relax, stretch his head down, and bring his gaits under control, I praised and gushed-- he's a really cute horse to watch.
When he was settled in and listening to my transition cues, I took him to the riding arena to try it from his back. What began as a long, jarring extended trot in a Western saddle very quickly turned into a relaxed, happy trot. It was still a little quick to be called a "jog," but it was comfortable, forward, and relaxed. We went around working in circles, figure-eights, serpentines, and across the diagonal, and something within Simon "clicked." He understood. I praised, pet, and put him away.
The next time, he was even better-- easy-going gaits right from the beginning in the round pen, and an eye and an ear on me throughout the exercise. When I got on, he was a perfect gentleman. Nice, round walk and trot all over the arena in a variety of figures and over ground poles. I was overjoyed, and he was relaxed and forward throughout. We tried to pick up the left lead canter but he counter-cantered and got grumpy. We worked on something else that we both felt good about, then I took him to the round pen to make up the difference for his canter work. He was marvelous. I praised, pet, and put him away.
Our third ride was yesterday, and he was a complete dream. Solid walk, trot, and canter work-- although he initially picked up the wrong lead going left. Lo and behold, Simon has extremely smooth flying lead changes! Two strides on the wrong lead in the circle, and POOF! he was on the correct lead without me doing anything at all. I'm still amazed and grateful! Right lead canter went off without a hitch, so what do you think I did? Praised, pet, put away.
Today I took another ride on him and he was again super-- though two days of work in a row showed their wear on him. I got super walk, trot, and right lead canter, but left lead was a no-go. It was a snorting, pawing, refusing to go forward fit. Hey, we all have those days. Not to start an argument, I dropped the subject, but I didn't let him win. If he wasn't going to pick up the left lead, he still had some lateral work to do and some bending exercises. These were all accomplished without any "buts." After we worked for a few minutes after his (teensy) hissyfit, he went right into the round pen to make up the difference with that left canter. I figure it may have been too much to ask after he just did it so well yesterday, so I'd drop his weightload (me) for him to work it out and keep balanced. He was happy, so was I. At this point, I'd rather see him do less work and be happy about it than to work beyond expectations and be resentful. I think I made a pretty decent choice, but time will tell how long it is before he is consistent on both leads. In the meantime, I'll just continue to enjoy him and keep him conditioned evenly, even if I'm in the saddle for part and on the ground for another part. I'd hate to ever see him be upset or resentful-- he has such a sweet spirit!

No comments:
Post a Comment