I saw some amazing things. I saw children and adults with balance issues riding horses in an excellent seated trot. I saw a girl take on her instructors in competition and hold her own in the show ring. I saw a team work together to keep everything running smoothly and on time, despite all the opportunity for chaos. I saw a real competition, with real winners, and real sportsmanship for a group of people who'd always been left out and underrated in the past. More than that, I saw a collection of horsemen who knew what it was all about-- having fun with an equine partner and other riders. More than that, they taught me a thing or two about how I should ride; where I should be in my mind and how I should keep my outlook and focus.
I never expected the chance to try it out so soon; at one point, I was asked by the Program Director to school one of the horses during a break. Manny had been a little fidgety in the morning part of the show and just needed the chance to move around and think about something other than waiting in line. As I was preparing to mount, one of the clients paid me a valuable compliment: "Wow, you look so professional!" -- I guess she didn't realize how much I was in awe of her for all the things she is. I was touched by her kind words, and now a little bit nervous that maybe some of the folks who I admire will be now watching me.
Luckily, I was able to keep it together, and Manny was such a good boy I hadn't a care in the world. It was just like it was supposed to be: just the two of us, out there working together, talking to one another and enjoying each other's company. There were eyes upon us, but none of them scrutinizing or secretly waiting for our failure; just love, appreciation, respect, and eagerness to learn--- all the things that belong on the rail of a horse show, at any level.
This was a chance to remember what it's all about, from the people who never, ever forget. Those who truly appreciate the thrill of victory with grace, and who are so very brave in their attempts.
A Riders Unlimited, Inc. client participating in an Equitation class. He is in full control of his mount; the person on the lead rope is there for precaution only. The side walker is also there in case of an emergency; safety is always the first priority.
No comments:
Post a Comment